Sunday, October 10, 2010

Disney Read-Alongs

Disney Read-Alongs were a series of illustrated books for children with accompanying recordings of the books being read. The first Read-Alongs, book-and-record sets, were released in 1965 by Disneyland Records; several hundred titles have been produced.


The books were typically adaptations of popular Disney movies, cartoons, and other stories, running 24 pages. A narrator (or in some titles, a character from the story in first-person) read the story, and dialogue and songs from the original source were included. The sound of Tinker Bell's chimes was the signal for the reader to turn the page. The books always contained the tag line "SEE the pictures, HEAR the record, READ the book." The first editions typically had this introduction:

"This is a Disneyland original Little Long-Playing Record, and I am your story reader. I am now going to begin to read the story of [insert title here]. You can read along with me in your book. You will know it's time to turn the page when Tinker Bell rings her little bells like this: (sound of 'chimes' ringing). Let's begin now."

4 comments:

  1. WOW!!! In my family we had dozens of these. When I read, "Let's Begin Now" it all came rushing back! Thanks for posting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yeah! Same here. "Let's begin now" I instantly felt like I was 5 again hearing one of these books on my record player. One of those little ones like a box where the top folded down and it had a carry handle. The Original walkman! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. lmfaoo. . . I SO TOTALLY REMEBERR THISS SONGG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's begin now: Lady was a cocker spaniel that lived with Jim Dear and Darling!

    ReplyDelete